Wednesday, 27 October 2010

EVENINGS
















Trippy, reflective bliss from talented musician Nathan Broaddust, definitely one to watch (and listen to) very closely indeed, ace!

First off, where are you in the world right now and what're you working on?
I'm sitting in a library, and I'm supposed to be working on a number of things for school...but It's just not happening. I'm procrastinating a lot. Its my thing.

Could you give a brief Evenings history?
Well there isn't much history yet. I bought an audio interface and a midi keyboard when i was fifteen, and I started using bootlegged copies of cubase & protools. I have some really funny recordings of myself around that age..they hopefully wont ever see the light of day. During high school I played guitar in a band called "goonies", and towards the end we started playing instrumental mogwaish stuff. I also remember I was the audio mixer for my high school's crappy daily news show, and I couldn't play any music with words...This was probably when I started listening to mainly instrumental music. I don't think a day went by in high school that i didn't listen to "cherry" by ratatat.

Who did you grow up listening to?
My mom has great taste. I listened to alot of Talking heads and Van Morrison tapes growing up. Once I got a little older my brother (who's only a year older than me) started getting me excited about finding new stuff. I probably started getting into electronic music after listening to Kid A too much..as if you could ever have too much Kid A.

Tell us a bit about your most recent release 'North Dorm'.
A lot of it was recorded in a dorm room last winter and spring, and i finally finished it all this summer. I actually used a stolen copy of ableton 8 to record it.. But ableton will be happy to hear that I recently bought a real copy.

What's the weirdest thing you've ever written a song about?
Often I have really strange/vivd dreams, and I try to write them down when I wake up sometimes. I never really understand them, but once in a while they'll have a pretty prominent subject. When I write about stuff I don't understand, things tend to end up a little askew... and I enjoy that.

Can you see yourself always being involved in music or are there any equally important aspirations you'd like to explore?
I'm not sure where I'll end up..I'm a music major, but I think about media and design a lot. I can't imagine I'll ever stop making music though. Thankfully I think I have enough time to mull it over.

What would you say was the perfect environment or situation to listen to your music in?
I think that people should decide for themselves. That said, I tend to like music that cuts me off from the rest of the world for a little while. I'm just glad that people enjoy listening to it. I want to thank each and every one of them with a high five.

Where would you love to tour?
Switzerland.

Finally, what's next for Evenings, future plans and such?
I'm really not sure, I'm trying to write more music in between school. School is kiiiiiiiilling me laura.
Get at more info and tunes from his myspace.