Friday, 4 May 2012

JASON NOLAN


Today I'm bringing you the extremely young, but extremely talented JASON NOLAN; capitals are completely justified, his sound is dooooppppe (momentarily possessed by the spirit of Will.i.am). I'm staggered by the quality of the production on his latest e.p and there's so much diversity in his music, eclectic sounds clashing together to create something really exciting.

First off, where are you in the world right now and what're you working on?
At the moment I am in Southampton and have just started brainstorming some ideas for songs whilst attempting some Maths.

When did you first decide to make music?
I can't really think of when I first decided to make music really. My earliest memories of trying to create music is with two of my closest friends when we were about 9 or 10 - but we didn't play them on instruments or anything - just sung probably a 10-15 second hook over and over... and over. I always tended towards improvisation on jazz flute but the first time I took song writing seriously was probably when I was 12/13 and had just started playing guitar in my first band.

Who did you grow up listening to?
My Dad is a huge music fan and had an eclectic taste and I can recall him playing me Bowie, The Beatles, Jethro Tull, Michael Jackson and many others when I was younger and really liking what I was hearing. It was certain tracks that stood out for me though when growing up rather than artists, before developing a taste in music- so a lot of 90's and early 2000's pop too.

Tell us a bit about the most recent song you've worked on.
I havn't starting producing anything new since the debut EP - so the last song I worked on was Velvet Ties. It is the final track on the EP and features some flecks of a phenomenal spoken word piece by my close friend Samuel Cole. The track features around 15 manipulated guitars layered together in the background and is a pessimistic view of a seemingly short childhood.

What's the strangest subject you've ever written a song about?
Generally, I wouldn't say my lyrics are too out there but probably just Bicycle Shed - which is about procrastinating. The lyrics feature some of the stranger thoughts that come up like caring about the tilt of your laptop and going on a bike ride when there are clearly more pressing issues at hand. The name is a referrence to Parkinson's Law of Triviality.

What would you say was the perfect environment or situation to listen to your music in?
I'm not sure really - probably just on your own, on the go.

What other artists are you into at the moment?
Although loving a lot of different music, over the last few years I have been blown away by only a few artists with the most recent name coming to mind being James Blake - whose self-titled LP I think is brilliant. I got Soundcloud last month after being encouraged by a friend of mine who also makes music - Excavate (Charlie Tappin), and have just been finding some great music from up-and-coming artists through that medium.

Where would you love to tour?
To be honest, I haven't really given performing live much thought as I think there would be too many constraints and I wouldn't really have much of an idea of how to go about it without being on stage with my laptop - which doesn't appeal. I'd like to maybe record an acoustic session though of some of my tracks as I think that could be interesting.

Finally, what's next for you, future plans and such?
Next, I plan on passing my first year of uni and then I plan on producing a couple of tracks over the Summer break with possibly another EP soon after.

FACEBOOK