Friday, 14 September 2012

CRANE LAKE


Psychedelic synth with slick, neat production; Crane Lake's impressive output of innovative electronica is really exciting. I metaphorically sat down with Shane Lynch, the producer behind the Crane Lake alias, to find out his influences and plans for the future, or until he's 27!

How long have you been making music?
I started playing guitar at the tender age of 8, so really I have been making music in one form or another for most of my life. I began making electronic music about 5 months ago because I was fed up with not being able to make a band (unfortunately the market for guitarists at university is incredibly over saturated).

Who did you grow up listening to?
My earliest musical memory is driving in the car with my Dad playing Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. From 11 to 14 I was into a lot of punk, metal and nu-metal; NoFX, The Offspring, Deftones, Linkin Park, Lost Prophets, Metallica, Megadeth, so on... As I got older, I got more into electronic artists, like Simian Mobile Disco and Justice, as well as emo/screamo/harcore bands like From First To Last, Funeral For A Friend,Glassjaw, Refused and Alexisonfire. Still, I've always had a taste for the classics (Night Moves by the aforementioned Bob Seger is still one of my favourite all time songs).

Tell us a bit about the most recent song you've worked on.
I was sitting in a hotel room messing around with samples for a new song I was putting together, based on an acapella sample of Usher's "You Make Me Wanna", when I came across the electronic arpeggio that you hear at the beginning of my most recent song Solstice. From there, it was just one of those songs where, in terms of song structure and instrumental/sample foundations, the song almost wrote itself and came together in a matter of hours. It's got greater dance elements than most of my previous tracks, but I love the big finish where the synth lead and original drum line come together with the chanting and the rolling organic drums.

What would you say was the perfect environment or situation to listen to your music in?
I like to think I keep my sound varied enough to make a good accompaniment to a number of life's scenarios. It's hard to be objective when talking about your own music, but personally I like to listen to it whilst enjoying a few beverages and watching any program narrated by David Attenborough.

What programmes do you use to create your music?
Ableton Live 8 is my DAW of choice, which I use mostly to create synth lines and to compile/arrange samples. Other than that, I have a veritable plethora of music samples to mess around with to form various beats, ambient sounds and fx. I use the Izotope 5 plug-in to master my songs.

What other artists are you into at the moment?
My current favourite artist has to be Bonobo. His most recent original album, Black Sands, is quite simply a work of sonic art. Since I Left You by The Avalanches is a great album that every now and then I keep coming back to. In the past year or so I have gotten into a couple of indie bands, e.g. Foals and Bombay Bicycle Club. With regards to heavier music, I still listen to Deftones and Alexisonfire quite a bit (Dallas Green's City and Colour also has a great album in Little Hell). I recently bought Letlive's album Fake History after hearing the excellent emotionally-charged single Muther, and so that gets a lot of play at the moment.

Finally, what's next for you, future plans and such?
Well, to be honest I'm not entirely sure. I'm about to enter my third year in a degree in Economics, which is typically a precursor to a job in finance. I am also trying to learn how to DJ in the hope of eventually being able to do my own shows, with the ultimate goal being to have several platinum records, headlining world tours, several divorces and ultimately dying on the toilet aged 27 from an overdose on Bath Salts. Aside from that, I'm just taking each year as it comes.