Tuesday, 18 September 2012

PEARS


A few months ago, I posted two beautiful, intricate albums by Pears, the brainchild of Gary Morris. They acted as a beacon of hope, whilst entangled in the tentacles of revision and also gave me some light, perplexing relief, as I discovered how many ACTUAL people 'like' pears, as in the fruit, on facebook (588,509..increasing as I speak), when finding the band page. Funky rhythmic beats and exotic undertones, you'll find yourself whimsically imagining purer shores as you listen to Pears.

First off, where are you in the world right now and what're you working on?
I am based in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. I work in Manhattan, and I am from Cape Town, South Africa. Right now I am not working on any imminent releases, more just experimenting with new sounds, trying to set things up with different friends music-wise and getting ready to leave my job full-time and head back home for a few months.

Could you give a brief history of your career as an artist so far?
I have always been into music, and owe that to my brother, who has probably been the biggest influence in my musical (and regular) life. I started making music when I around 13 or so. I would use free or cracked software to make stuff with friends. When I finished high school, I decided to try come to New York and study sound engineering. I did that, and at the same time I interned at an audio repair shop called EARS (now called Analog Lab) run by Jeff Blenkinsopp. That was hugely formative experience for me and through Jeff, I got the job I have now, which is working for a music production company that does stuff for commercials, documentaries and films. While being in New York I have released different kinds of music through my own personal capacity or through small labels.

Who did you grow up listening to?
Firstly pop music, then heavy metal and industrial, then British electronic music, South African electronic music, dub music etc. Then moving to New York, opened up my ears to pretty much everything and anything. Especially stuff with a more abstract vibe.

Tell us a bit about the most recent song you've worked on.
Most recent stuff has been long-form tones done on the computer or synth and running it through various things under the name Golden Dwarves. I like playing with frequencies quite a bit. I also have an affinity to dance music made with machines, and to African guitar style music. I try funnel all my impressions into something coherent.

What would you say was the perfect environment or situation to listen to your music in?
The town of Clanwilliam, in South Africa.

What's the strangest subject you've created a song about?
I made a song about a friend getting on a bus.

What other artists are you into at the moment?
Harry Taussig. Don Carlos and Gold. John Pengu. La Negra Graciana with Trio Silva. Jared Ginsburg. Calvin Stables. Ricky Gordon. Jake Lipman. Marco Filby. Alec Fellman. My girlfriend has also been getting me into different Brazilian artists as well.

Where would you love to tour?
I don't actually tour, but if I did, probably somewhere warm and relaxed. like a tour of the Caribbean islands. Or a tour around the towns of the Karoo in South Africa.

Finally, what's next for you, future plans and such?
I am going to South Africa for 2 months in December, after that I will be back in New York with some time to make more music, meet more people, maybe write some stuff down. Also have an idea to bring my equipment into some classrooms for disadvantaged kids and get them into drum machines and synths and effects pedals, and maybe record some raps.